Monday, November 17, 2014

Jesus Friend of Sinners - Casting Crowns


This entry is all about what this song means to me, the very first time I heard it.


"Jesus, Friend Of Sinners" - Casting Crowns - Lyrics


Jesus, friend of sinners, we have strayed so far away
We cut down people in your name but the sword was never ours to swing

A month ago I started play a local Christian Radio station whenever we were in range in our car. It was a hard thing for me to do, because the vast majority of Christian Music makes no sense or worse, is directly contradicted by a wide view of scripture. In other words, I would get a couple of lines into a song, and be confronted with something that invalidated the song, meaning I have to listen to it anyway, waiting for the next one. Never enjoyable and certainly not worshipful.  So this was a bold move on my part. 

This was the first song on the first day.

The first two lines, telling me that we "cut down people" in Jesus' name, and we were never meant to so so.

Yes.  Yes.  Turn the radio up.  I thought I was the only Conservative Christian on the planet that was struggling with main stream faith ripping the heart our of people because they were sinners, especially ripping the heart out of other Christians.

We are all sinners, I thought, and here this song is starting with that, we are sinners, and that Jesus is our friend.  Wow.

Jesus, friend of sinners, the truth's become so hard to see
The world is on their way to You but they're tripping over me

Again, Jesus, friend of sinners.  That's another reminder that we are sinners.  And, there is ONE truth that matters, and that is the Gospel.

Yes, Loving this song.  Then, 4 lines in, hit right between the eyes.  People are headed toward him because that is the way they were made, but they are being stopped, slowed down, damaged by ....
wait for it...... ME.  Oh man, not so cool anymore.

Always looking around but never looking up I'm so double minded
A plank eyed saint with dirty hands and a heart divided

Then a pretty clear reminder that I am being human, and in my own power.  Looking around in the world, using my own knowledge, rather than looking to the Holy Spirit.  I Do have a plank in my eye, and I missed it.

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours

Again, Friend of sinners, a reminder of what we are, and who he is.  And then, a bold declaration that we are pointing out the weaknesses in others and not worrying about them, other than there sin.  More worried about their language, their behavior, their doctrine than we are about their state of grace.  Hardly the sign of Love we are told should be seen in the church.

Then, the second most powerful plea in the song.  Break our hears for what breaks yours. That means I'm not listening to the Holy Spirit, but, rather, seeing with my own eyes.



Yeah...

Jesus, friend of sinners, the one who's writing in the sand
Made the righteous turn away and the stones fall from their hands

Again, friend of sinners, us.  Then, what did he do to those sinners.  I forgive you.  Love.  Not law.

Help us to remember we are all the least of these

Paul said this, and if he is the least, there is no way to describe where I am.

Let the memory of Your mercy bring Your people to their knees
Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded

How true is that.  EVERYONE knows who Christians hate.  I know, we say we don't hate them, just their sin, but get real.  Bigotry is hate.  Everyone knows who we hate.  

If they don't know what I'm for, I'm not a follower of Christ.

What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and loved like You did

To me, this is the most powerful line in the sing.

What if we did what Jesus did?   If instead of hating some politician, we loved them. If instead of hating some people group of life style we helped them?  If instead of fighting for our rights, we fought for theirs?  What would that do?

Wow.

Guess I will be listening to more now that I get it.

God Rocks!

-----------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

>